Diatom Hunting

With the majority of our field work done for the REU, we began collecting some data from our core samples as plant macrofossils and diatoms. Split into two teams of two, we spent the day under the scopes examining our chosen feature. I looked at diatoms samples today from our selected transition areas to get a better grasp of the past environments in which existed at our fen GNBZ. The learning curve was high for I had never examined or identified diatoms before but with practice over the next few weeks I hope to close the gap. The sample I focused on was from our second coring site near a peat to sand transition. I found mostly broken diatoms today but did manage to find a few others intact. Doing the same thing tomorrow, yet a new day always brings new challenges.

 

Zachary KisfalusiImage

Phil helps Wayne identify diatoms.

Image

 

A Pinnularia species of diatom.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s